This post is Sponsored by Mars Veterinary Wisdom Panel 3.0.
We don’t all come by the furry, four-legged canine members of our families in the same way. Many of us come by our dogs by chance because they were abandoned, others through friends or families that had a litter. We love them just the same even though we can’t definitively tell anyone what their breed mix is and often times we just guess. It’s okay if you get it wrong when you’re telling your neighbor you think your dog is 1/2 of one mix and 1/2 of another, but what about potential health issues that could be dependent about your dog’s breeds if you don’t know what they are?
Mars Veterinary, the industry leader in canine genetic testing, is launching their next evolution of the canine DNA test—Wisdom Panel® 3.0—and is not only expanding the breed screening coverage, but the medical applications as well with the new MDR1 Genetic Mutation screening.
Dogs with the MDR1-‐mutation may have severe adverse reactions to some common drugs, so it is important to test mixed-‐breed (and purebreds with the high-‐propensity breeds) dogs and for owners to share results with their veterinarian so they can provide the dog with for the best possible care.
For more information on breeds and drugs affected by the MDR1 mutation, visit http://www.wisdompanel.com/MDR1_Disease_Screening.
Benefits of DNA testing your dog include:
• MDR1 mutation testing for drug sensitivity.
• The ability to develop a training program that works with their natural instincts (breeds) and a better understanding their behavior characteristics.
• Developing a nutrition plan for breed-‐specific needs and/or achieving/maintaining healthy weight.
• Assists in determining what the adult size of your dog might be.
• Understanding the breeds within your dog, in order to lookout for any breed-‐specific health concerns or common issues.It’s easy for you to do at home with one of their DNA kits. The kit has two swabs that the owner rubs between the gum and the cheek for 15 seconds to collect skin cells for DNA extraction. The sampling will them be compared DNA against a number of breeds depending on the owner’s choice at the time of kit activation.
A DNA Test Kit from Wisdom Panel carries an MSRP $84.99, but if you are in or around the Austin, TX area you can take advantage of a special offer when Wisdom Panel will be at the Amazing Pet Expo in Austin, TX, August 1-‐2. They will be sharing more information about Wisdom Panel® 3.0 and educate dog owners on the benefits of a DNA test for dogs. They will also be providing swabbing on site for a a discounted price of $39.99. For those wanting to take home a kit, they can be purchased the discounted price of $49.99.Knowing of potential risks ahead of time, and asking your veterinarian to keep an eye out for them, can certainly provide some peace of mind for the family of a mixed-breed dog.
Visit www.WisdomPanel.com for more information and you can follow Wisdom Panel for more updates on events and product discounts: Facebook: facebook.com/