Gift Guide Pick
Andrew Marlow, a psychiatrist, has a perfectly ordered life–solitary, perhaps, but full of devotion to his profession and the painting hobby he loves. This order is destroyed when the renowned painter Robert Oliver attacks a canvas in the National Gallery of Art and becomes Marlow’s patient.
When Oliver refuses to talk or cooperate, Marlow finds himself going beyond his own legal and ethical boundaries to understand the secret that torments this silent genius, a journey that will lead him into the lives of the women closest to Robert Oliver and toward a tragedy at the heart of French Impressionism.
Moving from American museums to the coast of Normandy, from the late nineteenth century to the late twentieth, from young love to last love, THE SWAN THIEVES is a story of obsession, the losses of history, and the power of art to preserve human hope.
The Boston Globe calls this novel “Exquisite” and the O, The Oprah Magazine “Engrossing”.
The major themes of the book are love and obsession, which make it a great Book Club pick. You can grab the Reading Group Guide for it here.
Author bio: Elizabeth Kostova is also the offer of The Historian. She graduated from Yale and holds an MFA from the University of Michigan, where she won the Hollywood Award for the Novel-in-Progress.
Win one of three copies of The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova.
To enter the giveaway, just leave a comment letting me know you want to win. You can enter daily.
For Extra Entries
* Follow Three Different Directions publicly via GFC. 1 extra entry.
* Let your Facebook friends know about this giveaway by putting it in your status. 1 extra entry. Please leave a link to your post.
* Follow my Home Enteretainment Blog – Play That Now publicly via GFC. 1 extra entry.
* Follow me on Twitter and Tweet about this giveaway. 1 extra entry daily. Please leave a link to your tweet in the comments.
* Leave a relevant comment on any non-giveaway post. It must be a new comment, previous comments are not eligible. In other words the day that you leave the comment, is the day you claim the extra entry. 2 extra entries daily.
Open to US & Canadian residents ages 18+, ends November 17, 2010 at 11:59 PM CST. E-mail must be submitted when entering, or in the comment body (really now, how am I going to contact you if you don’t leave your e-mail?? ). Winner will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. By entering this giveaway you are stating that you have read my **Privacy/Rules statements and agree to them.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I wrote this post as part of a blog campaign by Hachette Book Group and was supplied with samples and information through them, the review and opinions are my own.
dsq.src = ‘http://ssblog.disqus.com/embed.js’;
(document.getElementsByTagName(‘head’) || document.getElementsByTagName(‘body’)).appendChild(dsq);
Disqus. blog comments powered by Disqus