Did you know that many laundry detergents contain chemicals called optical brighteners?
According to scientific research, these can cause allergic reactions, are toxic to small fish and other aquatic life, and can pollute your waterways.
When ultraviolet light hits optical brighteners coating your clothing, the brighteners convert UV rays into visible light to create an optical illusion. This tricks the eye into thinking the clothing is whiter and brighter, and therefore cleaner than it really is.
Seventh Generation’s laundry detergents are free of optical brighteners and are non-toxic. They are also hypo-allergenic and biodegradable. MyBlogSpark sent me a kit to conduct an experiment to see the difference between conventional laundry detergent and Seventh Generation laundry detergent.
When washed in a conventional laundry detergent that contains optical brighteners, clothes appear to glow under a black light. Without the brighteners you won’t see the same glow on your clothing.
Take a look at our experiment in the photo below. We took two identical organic cotton shirts in beige and washed one in conventional laundry detergent and one in Seventh Generation laundry detergent.
It was tough to get a good picture, holding the black light and the camera and being in the dark. But I think if you look you can see that the shirt on the left has more of a “glow” than the one on the right. The one on the right looks darker in appearance.
Seventh Generation and MyBlogSpark are offering one of my readers the chance to win a set of Seventh Generation Laundry Products.
To enter the giveaway leave a comment letting us know your favorite tips for keeping your family healthy at home. You can enter daily.
YOU MUST LEAVE YOUR E-MAIL IN THE COMMENT OR IN THE E-MAIL FIELD WHEN YOU POST YOUR COMMENT (ONLY I CAN SEE THAT). I CAN’T LET YOU KNOW YOU WON, IF YOU DON’T LEAVE A WAY FOR ME TO CONTACT YOU!
For extra entries you can:
1. Sign up for the Seventh Generation Newsletter. 2 extra entries. Please leave the first part of the email you signed up with in the comments (the part before the @abcd.com)
2. Like Seventh Generation on Facebook. 1 extra entry. Please leave your Facebook ID in the comments.
3. Follow Seventh Generation on Twitter and Tweet this giveaway. 1 extra entry daily. Please leave a link to your tweet in the comments. You can use the following tweet:
Do your clothes glow? Find out here: http://bit.ly/7thgenglow @SeventhGen @threedifferent #myblogspark Seventh Generation Giveaway
4. Subscribe to my RSS Feed. 1 extra entry
5. Follow Publicly via GFC. 1 extra entry
6. Leave a relevant comment on any non-giveaway post. It must be a new comment, previous comments are not eligible. In other words, the day you leave the comment is the day you collect the extra entries. 2 extra entries per comment.
Open to US residents ages 18+, ends November 27, 2010 at 11:59 PM CST. E-mail must be submitted when entering, or in the comment body. Winner will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. By entering this giveaway you are stating that you have read my **Privacy/Rules statements and agree to them.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I wrote this post as part of a blog campaign by MyBlogSpark on behalf of Seventh Generation and was supplied with samples and information through them, the review and opinions are my own.
dsq.src = ‘http://ssblog.disqus.com/embed.js’;
(document.getElementsByTagName(‘head’) || document.getElementsByTagName(‘body’)).appendChild(dsq);
Disqus. blog comments powered by Disqus