Without a doubt my favorite part of the BlogEats conference was the Blogger Recipe Challenge.
We were divided up into 4 teams by choosing spatulas with numbers on them and given a mission to make a holiday dessert using any or all of the following Kraft Foods ingredients; OREO Cookies, Planters Peanut Butter and/or Jell-O Chocolate or Vanilla Instant Pudding.
I chose a spatula with #5 on it…
Now none of us thought we were very creative, but Kathleen had an idea to make Santa Clauses using the OREO Cookies – that actually never came to fruition, but we did make Snowmen and Christmas Trees with her idea, and it’s actually easy to make this Winter Wonderland with your kids in your own home!
Large Jet-Puffed Marshmallows
Mini Jet-Puffed Marshmallows
Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme
Jet-Puffed Mallow Bites
Planters Pecan Pieces
Wilton Brownie Crunch Rainbow Chips (or any Nonpareils)
Green Ready to Decorate Icing
White Ready-To-Use Gel Tube Icing
Black and other assorted colors of Candy Sugar
Shredded Coconut for garnishing
*note the picture above was assembled using a bamboo skewer rather than a pretzel stick because we didn’t have pretzels at our disposal. To make this a completely edible treat, we thought pretzel sticks would accomplish the same task as the skewer in holding the creations together. You may have to experiment with the length and width of the pretzels to find ones that will keep the figures stable.
For Snowmen Figures
1. Begin with spreading marshmallow creme on the top of OREO cookie.
Place a large marshmallow on top of the marshmallow creme. Insert a pretzel stick into the marshmallow.
2. Take another large marshmallow and spread the top of it with the white decorating gel and then dip it into the black candy sugar. Coat a Mallow Bite in the gel and roll it in the back candy sugar as well and then place it on the top of the decorated top with the decorating gel. This is the snowman’s hat.
3. Place that marshmallow on top of the pretzel stick so now you have a complete snowman ‘body’. Using the decorating gel use your rainbow chips or nonpareils to add eyes, nose and buttons to the snowman.
4. Insert a pecan piece into each side of the lower marshmallow for his arms.
For Christmas Trees
1. Begin with spreading marshmallow creme on the top of OREO cookie. Place a Mallow Bite on top of the marshmallow creme. Insert a pretzel stick into the marshmallow (you may have to ‘pre-drill’ a hole into the mallow bite using a sharper utensil, please only have an adult do that, to get the pretzel to stay in the Mallow Bite).
2. Place two large Marshmallows onto the pretzel.
3. Using your green ready-to-use icing – draw a Christmas Tree onto the marshmallows. Decorate your tree with rainbow chips or nonpareils.
4. With the white decorating gel add a mini marshmallow on top of the large marshmallow and add a yellow rainbow chip or nonpareil for the star.
1. Place your Winter Wonderland figures on a plate or serving platter.
2. Coat mini marshmallows in white decorating gel and roll in colored candy sugar.
3. Spread the shredded coconut around the OREO Cookie Marshmallow figures to resemble fallen snow and place your mini marshmallow ‘present’s around the Christmas Trees.
This activity lends itself to many uses, a craft at a party, a holiday center piece or just a fun time making sweet treats with the family!
I was invited to participate in a behind-the-scenes blogger conference with the Kraft Kitchens, for which Kraft provided full travel expenses, meals and accommodations and product samples, coupons and premiums, however my opinions are completely my own and I have not been compensated to publish positive or negative reviews of the event or products associated with my experience.