Hair loss and thinning are more common than you think for women – 40% of American women experience either one or both by age 40. If your hair starts to fall out, don’t look the other way. Hair actually has a delayed shedding cycle – falling out 90 days after it has stopped growing – so pay attention to how much hair you are losing each day, especially if it seems to be a significant amount.
There are numerous reasons for thinning and hair loss. Life events, things like stress, weight gain/loss, surgery, etc., can exacerbate hair loss. Genetics, hormones, scalp issues, nutrition all have their roles as well. So whether one or a combination of any of them, don’t fret, there are several ways to keep hair healthy, thick and shiny.
Here are some transformative treatments and quick fixes.
• The top ingredient to promote hair regrowth is minoxadil. When purchasing look for a product that contains at least 2% of it. You need to be consistent when using for results. This is a product that you would want to apply to the scalp daily, and you can apply to your scalp with either damp or dry hair.
• Nutrition may also help prevent future hair loss. Try and eat lean protein at every meal as well as complex carbs help your body digest the protein. A daily supplement with biotin, iron and vitamins B12, C and D can also help.
• Healthy hair starts with a healthy scalp. Tackle flakes and/or dryness with a nourishing treatment that includes vitamin C, proteins and botanicals.
• Before you blow-dry, spray a thermal protection product from roots to ends. This will reduce the stress of heat on your hair and also will act as a primer to make your style last longer. When you blow-dry, hold your hair at a vertical angle to get more lift at your roots.
• Use a brush that has both plastic and natural bristles for increased shine and less damage. At night before bed, lightly brush hair to prevent it from tangling while sleeping. Use a wide, soft hair tie if you prefer to wear ponytails, and don’t fasten it too tightly.
• Dry shampoo is your bff for a quick fix. You’ll get natural-looking volume with it. Shake the can and spray a few times before putting it on your air, aim for the roots to mid-way in order to get a full look throughout.