I’ve never been the super mom who made fantastic homemade cake pops for birthday parties. Nor do I make my own fondant or elaborate cut out cookies. I’m all about easy. I want to ‘look’ like I slaved all day over what I bake and cook, but in actuality, I want the easiest way to do it. I’m not afraid of hacks. I’m not a-feared of short cuts. And I’m certainly not opposed to using mixes.
If you aren’t a stellar baker (like me) and you’re looking to impress the guests this 4th of July, but want to do it the easy way, look no further than this layered cake. If I can make it you can make it.
- (1) 8.25 oz pouch red cake mix
- (1) 8.25 oz pouch blue cake mix
- (1) 14 oz tub of white frosting
- red & blue sprinkles
- Following the directions on the package make the cakes as single round pan layer cakes.
- Remove cakes from pans 15 minutes after removing them from oven when completed baking, and cool completely.
- Once cooled place one cake layer on the bottom flat side up and frost the top of it.
- Place the flat side of the other cake layer on top of the frosting, and then frost around the entire cake with the remaining frosting.
- Shake the red & blue sprinkles on top.
- Cut into slices to serve. Keep any leftover cake covered and refrigerated.