April 2nd marks National Peanut Butter & Jelly day: when peanut butter lovers around the nation will celebrate their love for PB&J and to help “spread” the love.
I never grew up with PB&J sandwiches, although I desperately tried trading for them during school lunches! And while I did pack them for lunch when my daughter was in elementary school, she has ‘ditched’ the bread, and spreads her crunchy peanut butter & jelly on tortillas and eats them that way these days.
Whether you like your peanut butter smooth, crunchy or natural Planters has you covered as you can find
Planters Natural Creamy Peanut Butter Spread
Planters Creamy Peanut Butter
Planters Crunchy Peanut Butter
at stores all across the country Suggested Retail Price: $2.49 – $7.99 (depending on size). Made of 90% peanuts, Planters Peanut Butter provides 10% or more of the daily value for seven essential nutrients, including magnesium and antioxidant Vitamin E, when consumed in the recommended two tablespoon serving size. You can learn more about Planters Peanut Butter at http://www.planters.com/varieties/peanutbutter.aspx.
Here are some fun facts about peanut butter to amaze your friends and family with:
Fun Facts about Peanut Butter:
- “Arachibutyrophobia” (pronounced I-RA-KID-BU-TI-RO-PHO-BI-A) is the fear of peanut butter getting stuck to the roof of your mouth.
- Did you know the voice of Peanut butter Doug (stunt double for Mr. Peanut) is actor Kevin Dillon?
- Planters Natural Peanut Butter Spread contains more than 550 perfectly roasted peanuts in every 15 oz. jar.
- Peanuts are actually legumes, not nuts. But “Legume Butter” has an odd ring to it.
- Check out the Mr. Peanut Facebook page at www.facebook.com/mrpeanut to learn more about Peanut Butter Doug!
Here’s a recipe I made just for National Peanut Butter & Jelly day – enjoy :)
PEANUT BUTTER & JELLY CUPCAKES – MAKES 12
1 cup white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup water
2 tablespoons grape jelly
1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup peanut butter, melted
1/3 cup half-and-half cream
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
jelly flavor of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.
- Mix first sugar, flower, cocoa and baking soda together. Add water, grape jelly, mayonnaise and vanilla extract, and mix until smooth.
- Pour into pan or liners and bake 20 minutes, checking at 15 minutes for doneness. Cupcakes are cooked when a toothpick inserted into them come out clean.
- Beat peanut butter, cream, brown sugar, vanilla and confectioner’s sugar together. Icing will be thick, if you prefer a thinner frosting, add cream in tiny amounts until you achieve your desired consistency.
- Frost cupcakes with icing when cool. Add a dollop of jelly on top of the peanut butter icing, leave that way or spread the dollop to cover cupcake entirely.
- Enjoy Peanut Butter & Jelly Day with your cupcakes!
Disclosure: I received no monetary compensation for this post; Kraft Foods sent me samples. Opinions are my own.
Win Peanut Butter From Planters!
Want to win? All you have to do is leave a comment in the Rafflecopter form below telling me how you are going to eat Peanut Butter & Jelly on April 2nd!